Reverb on Vocals (LO3)

While I’m happy with the research I’ve done on mixing vocals, which is part of my learning outcome 3, I haven’t managed to find much information on using reverb and delay on them. In the second recording session, Ben, vocalist of YCIALM, wanted delay on the vocals for one of the tracks. I hadn’t actually planned to use a great deal of reverb or delay on the EP but I think it would be beneficial for me to have researched the best way to use them.

An article on exponentialaudio.com outlines some of the key considerations when using reverb on vocals. Firstly, they claim that it’s best to record the reverb for vocals naturally. “‘Real’ reverb is around us all the time. Every space has its own sound. Wherever possible I like to record a vocal in a live space using a screen to keep the close mic dry while recording the room at the same time. If, as is more often the case, I receive a dry vocal to mix I may re-amp it into a room, hall or stairwell to give it a unique ambience.” At this stage in the project this would be difficult for me to do even if there was somewhere on the university campus that had a nice natural sounding reverb.

The article mentions that you should set the delay time on the reverb to match the tempo and timing of the track. It makes musical sense to set vocal delays to be in time with the track. However, straight delays such as quarter and eighth notes can get easily masked within the track. I usually start with an offbeat delay like three sixteenths which I find tends to naturally find the musical gaps. Then I’ll vary the delay slightly until it feels good. This is something I’ve previously done when adding reverb to all instruments in tracks.

Simon Gogerly, author of the article states that he’ll often “change the sounds and levels of effects on the lead vocal throughout a song. This can really help the dynamics of a track and keep it interesting. For instance, I may use a fairly dry sound with just a touch of plate & slap delay in a verse then introduce a longer delay and bigger reverb in the chorus.” This is also something I’ve done in the past.

https://www.exponentialaudio.com/pro-tips-source/2015/7/28/5-pro-tips-for-using-reverb-delays-on-lead-vocals